The Environmental Stewardship Division of the Community Services Department works with communities, groups and individuals to promote sustainable living, environmental protection and education throughout the municipality. We work to develop community programs and initiatives to increase environmental awareness, engage the community in environmental projects and establish new partnerships. Township staff offers assistance with project development and coordination, fundraising and marketing.
Ongoing Projects & Initiatives
- Enhancing existing pollinator habitat through wildflower, native tree and shrub plantings
- Increasing canopy coverage through various landscape restoration planting projects.
- Tall Grass Prairie Restoration
- Bird & Nest box monitoring. Cold Creek is a migratory corridor and nesting habitat for a variety of bird species that have been classified as species at risk.(make clickable to direct users to Bird & Nest box Monitoring info shown below)
- Terrestrial invasive species management
- Installation of interpretive signage at various natural property features
- Offer guided hikes and nature based workshops for community groups, and property users
- Reducing mowing on site to further enhance natural areas
- Wetland Enhancement Project in partnership with the Toronto Region Conservation Authority
If you are interested in volunteer opportunities at Cold Creek, please email us to discuss potential opportunities!